The Post Construction Cleaning Checklist
The best part of a renovation or construction project is when it is complete and cleaned up. To make it livable, secure, organized, and safe, there are a lot of loose ends that need to be addressed. A good way to make sure these are all addressed is by creating a checklist.
A post-construction cleaning checklist is an invaluable tool for ensuring that all tasks related to the cleanup of a worksite have been completed before the project is declared finished. It breaks down the many different areas of a job site into specific categories, making it easier for your team to identify exactly what needs to be done to make sure everything is clean and orderly. Providing this kind of detailed guidance ensures that no important tasks are overlooked or neglected.
After any construction project, there are often materials and particles left behind that need to be cleaned up, like sawdust, metal fragments, paint chips, wood shavings, plastic from packaging materials and other debris. Even if the contractor or builder has done a good job of cleaning up after themselves, it is important to take steps to clean them up. Our construction cleaning service can help.
Here are some items you should include in your Post Construction Checklist
Post-construction cleaning can help maintain air quality by removing airborne particles that could otherwise enter our lungs and cause respiratory problems. Also, some things left may contain toxins. If ingested or absorbed through skin contact, they could present a health hazard. There are many potential hazards you should look out for. Small nails and screws can easily be missed during the cleanup, but they pose a risk of injury if someone were to accidentally step on them. Pests like termites are attracted to materials like sawdust and wood shavings.
Here are the recommended steps:
- Remove the debris: Remove all large debris, tools, and materials left over from construction activities. This is usually referred to as a ‘rough clean’ because you are eliminating the larger items without having to focus on the more intricate details.
- Start at the Top: The cleaning process starts at the top. Ceilings and ceiling fans, shelves, and cabinet tops are first as the dust and dirt fall to the floor and can be cleaned up at a later stage.
- Upholstery: After a construction project, a lot of dirt and dust can settle into your fabrics and furniture. Reference the manufacturer’s instructions and hire some carpet shampooing services.
- Walls and Baseboards: Construction residue can be found in many places, even sticking to your walls and baseboards. Before using a microfiber cloth or duster to dry dust the baseboards and walls, move all furniture away from the walls.
- Windows and Windowsills: Start by thoroughly cleaning the surfaces, beginning with a dry dusting using a duster or microfiber cloth (you could also vacuum). After that, use warm soapy water and a sponge or cloth to wipe down the surfaces. This will help lift any residue that may have been left behind from the dry dusting process.
- Get the Dust Out: Start by moving any furniture that may be in the way and picking up any decorations or other small items. Once all the clutter has been cleared away, use a damp cloth or a vacuum cleaner to remove the existing dust particles from the walls, floors, vents, and grates.
- Cabinets: Properly cleaning these areas can be done using a wet microfibre cloth starting from the top of the cabinet or closet and working downwards.
- Floors: Vacuum carpets, mop hardwood, and clean the grout of tile flooring. Even if you tarped the floors during construction.
Post-Construction Cleaning Services from Cleaning4U in Vancouver
If you’re looking for an experienced and reliable post-construction cleaning service provider in Vancouver, our team of highly trained professionals has been doing a superior job for several years, so you can be sure that we have the knowledge and experience needed to successfully clean up any mess left behind from a renovation project. Contact us to learn more.